The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) has, for the past 70 years, been helping millions of people all over the world gain valuable insights into their minds and the way they interact with others. The MBTI assessment has made it easier to access and understand Carl Jung's psychological types theory so we can put insights into our personalities in order to practise more efficiently.
Businesses worldwide have been using the MBTI to help them with the personal development of individual employees and the growth and improvement of their teams. The MBTI offers reliable insights backed by long term research, and offers easy to understand results which can help businesses to better understand the way their employees interact with each other and make smarter decisions about their teams.
The test is:
- Completed online within around 20 minutes
- Scored to identify the Myers-Briggs personalty type of each individual (e.g. ESTJ)
- A universally understood language for describing individuals’ personalities and the ways they interact with others and the world around them
Why should I want to know my Myers-Briggs personality type?
Have you ever wondered what type of environment or situation will help you to perform at your best? or if it is possible for you to work more successfully with other people? Do you ever wish you knew how to protect yourself from extreme stress, or how to develop yourself in order to operate more effectively within the world?
Every person is unique, but we also share some of our characteristics with others. With the help of MBTI, you can identify these similarities and differences and become more self-aware in order to find a fulfilling career or enjoy better relationships with other people.
Understanding our personal preferences and non-preferences can improve the way we work, learn and communicate, and it can help us to build better relationships and positively improve ourselves in order to achieve excellence.
What exactly does the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator tell me?
The MBTI works by sorting people into personality types based on four scales, which cover the following dimensions:
- Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I) – where you focus your energy or get energy from
- Sensing (S) or Intuition (N) – the type of information you prefer to gather and rely on
- Thinking (T) or Feeling (F) – the process you use to come to decisions
- Judging (J) or Perceiving (P) the way you deal with the world around you
An example of a Myers-Briggs type would be INTJ, but since there are four scales, there are a total of 16 possible personality types.
The scoring itself is done based on the responses to a questionnaire which each individual completes. The questionnaire and scaling system has been road tested for more than 70 years and has impeccable credentials. It offers questionnaires and reports in multiple different languages, provides a comprehensive range of reports for interpretation of the results and can highlight the primary strengths of the individual taking the test in order to help them make the most of their best assets.
The MBTI assessment has a wide variety of applications, such as:
- Team building – by identifying personality types within the group, it is possible to pick out strengths and weaknesses in the team and improve communication among members.
- Leadership development – a leader with an improved understanding of their personality and those who they lead is able to better manage and support their team and provide more valuable feedback to improve individual and group performance.
- Conflict management – by identifying sources of conflict, the test can help individuals and teams to intervene earlier and prevent disruptions, disengagement or under-performance.
- Stress management – by identifying stress triggers, it is possible to better manage stress and build resilience to stress which in turn improves productivity and performance.
- Career planning – with a good understanding of their personality type, an individual can better choose a career that suits them or make more specific and effective plans for future career development.
What's involved in the MBTI?
The MBTI questionnaire can only be completed with the support of a qualified practitioner who will guide you through the interpretation of the results. The questionnaire is first completed online, which takes takes no longer than 20 minutes or so, and you will you will then have a 60 to 90 minute one-to-one session with myself – a fully qualified MBTI practitioner.
To begin with, I will provide you with thorough feedback of your results in line with the OPP, which is the UK’s professional MBTI governing body. The session will be tailored to you; we will focus on finding the best fit personality type based on your questionnaire responses and we’ll delve deeper into what this type means for you. We will look for ways in which we can develop you personally based on your type, and I may refer you to some internet-based resources to allow you to learn more about your results and the ways in which they can help you.
The one-to-one session should, in most instances, be done face-to-face, but if this is not possible we can also arrange a Facetime or Skype meeting to conduct the session.
What happens when I know my Myers-Briggs personality type?
The real value of the MBTI is not just knowing your personality type, but knowing what to do with that knowledge to continuously develop yourself and grow as an individual. Many people in business know their Myers-Briggs Type after having been required to complete the assessment in the past, but that does not mean to say that they are using the knowledge to their advantage.
To get the very best out of the MBTI, many people opt to have follow-up coaching in which a practitioner like myself can help them to use their personality type to make changes to themselves and the way they interact with the world. By concentrating on developmental outcomes that will have a positive impact on your life and career, you can ensure that the insights provided by the MBTI do not go to waste.
I also provide MBTI Step II assessments, which provide an even more detailed breakdown of your personality to allow for further personal development.
Make a bookingBook now